My goal for a day filled with box-packing: eat everything left in the fridge and cupboard so I don’t need to move it or throw it out.
At this point, I’ve already packed all of my spices (and the only spices left in the kitchen are my soon to be ex-roommate’s red pepper flakes and salt). I have a little bit of food (including some leftover uncooked sausage from the 3-days worth of Vodka Couscous earlier in the week). I’m hungry for a meaty brunch. The result:
Sausage & Corn Surprise
- olive oil
- 3 shakes red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 medium black olives
- 10 small spanish olives
- 1/2 medium spanish onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 hot & spicy italian sausages
- 8/12 oz can crisp n sweet whole kernel corn (in the cupboard for at least 1 1/2 years)
- Dice garlic, onion, olives.
- Saute red pepper flakes and garlic in olive oil until garlic is brown.
- Saute onion and olives (adding salt with the onions).
- Squeeze sausage out of its skin; break into tiny chunks and brown in pan.
- Add (rinsed and drained) corn.
- Add a little bit of water for moisture, and let the water cook down.
- Serve in a bowl and eat while watching the Food Network.
There’s not too much to this recipe (and it’s all in one pan, which is really nice when you need to wash and pack the pan immediately after eating). This made a fairly small amount of food; it provided two bowls worth, and managed to satiate me perfectly (to the point I never felt overfull and am not hungry 3 hours later). In the future, some more flavor would be good; in a similar situation, just adding more pepper flakes would have sufficed. I would also like to try this as a scramble with a couple eggs, but that didn’t happen today. It would have created an excess of food for one person anyway, so I’m happy about this one.